June 22 – 25 2013
Maggio Musicale Fiorentino, Firenze, Italia
The NYIOP International Opera Auditions represent a highly efficient approach to the process of international auditioning: The opera houses travel to hear the singers instead of vice versa.
Attended by a number of the largest houses in the world and hosted by the Maggio Musicale Fiorentino, these auditions offer a unique opportunity for any professional singer to reach the next step in his or her career – in a very convenient and economical way.
This year the NYIOP International Opera Auditions will bring the casting-level representatives of opera houses from all over the world together in Firenze, Italy, and give singers the chance to introduce themselves to a number of major opera houses with just ONE audition!
Specific Information about the First Round Preliminary Auditions in Firenze, Italy:
- Once you register online for a First Round Preliminary Audition you will receive a confirmation email giving you more specific information.
- To sign up for a First Round Preliminary Audition, all singers must fill out the online registration form and pay the fee in advance. Your registration is not complete and you will not be scheduled until the audition fee has been received. The fee for the First Round Preliminary Audition is €400 or US$650.
- The First Round Preliminary Audition fee is non-refundable.
- The First Preliminary Round of Auditions, to be held in Firenze, Italy, will be attended by a number of opera houses and agents. Anyone singing for this round of auditions will sing for actual opera houses and agencies. This list will be available to you when you check in on he day of the auditions. It will also be posted on the website. The list is subject to change at any time.
- The singers chosen to sing in the Final Auditions will be notified at the end of the day on June 21, 2013 VIA EMAIL – check your junk mail folders. You will also be notified via email or SMS to your mobile phone if you are selected to sing in the Final Auditions. Please make sure we have the correct information at your audition or you may miss being passed thru. All singers will be notified via email whether or not they have passed thru.
- Each singer will sing at least one full aria and may be asked for additional pieces. Please come prepared with a printed list of 5-6 arias.
- NYIOP provides the pianist for the First Preliminary Round auditions. You are required to use the pianists provided by NYIOP and each singer must pay the pianist 20 Euros. Every singer will be given a short rehearsal period (5-6 minutes only) with the pianist to set tempi on the piece they choose to sing etc. The pianists provided by NYIOP are of the highest international level.
- NYIOP does not cover or reimburse any expenses for travel or lodging in association with the NYIOP International Opera Auditions. Upon request, we are happy to give you a written confirmation of your attendance and the fact that you assumed all costs for tax purposes.
- Singers who miss their scheduled time for any reason, including sickness, travel delays etc, will be rescheduled if a free audition space is available. If not, most cases will be treated as a cancellation and receive a partial refund depending on the time of their cancellation (see below).
- Any singer registering and being confirmed into the First Preliminary Round of Auditions in Firenze, Italy who cancels prior to June 10, 2012 will be refunded €150; any singer who cancels on or after that date will receive a refund of €100.
Specific Information about the Final Auditions on the stage of Teatro Comunale di Firenze, Italy:
- Each singer who is selected to audition in the final auditions in Firenze will be given a specific date and time for their audition for either June 24 or June 25, 2013. We will try our best to schedule everybody according to their date requests, however NO time requests will be accepted or accomodated.
- Singers accepted into the final auditions in Firenze after completing the preliminary audition round will pay an additional 200 Euros on the day of the Final audition.
- NYIOP provides the pianist for the auditions at a charge of 25 Euros per singer. All singers are required to use the pianist provided by NYIOP. Each singer will have a SHORT period to work tempi with the pianist (no more than 6-8 minutes total). The pianists provided by NYIOP are of the highest international level. (In some cases, the pianists are available to work for longer periods on the day before your audition. This is scheduled only while times are available and for an additional fee paid directly to the pianist.)
- NYIOP does not cover or reimburse any expenses for travel or lodging in association with the NYIOP International Opera Auditions. Upon request, we are happy to provide you a written receipt of participation and the fact that you assumed all costs.
- Anyone who pays the full fee to sing directly in the final audition upon direct recommendation of an attending agency or theater must pay in full upon notification of acceptance and will be subject to a strict cancellation policy for refunding the fee. The fee for being passed directly to the final audition is higher than the fee paid to participate via the preliminary process. This is due to the extraordinary circumstance being offered to bypass the preliminary process. The fee to pass directly to the finals upon recommendation is €600 / US$850. (Please note that being taken into the final auditions is handled on a person by person basis as space permits and singers can not solicit this directly)
- Any singer accepted into the final auditions in Firenze after completing the preliminary round, who cancels or for any reason and can not sing, will not be refunded any of the fees paid for the previous round. No exceptions.
- Each singer scheduled for the Final Auditions will need to bring 35 copies of his/her press photo and CV directly to the audition. You do not need to send us any materials in advance of your audition. These can be copies made front and back on ONE sheet of paper. Please remember to put your contact information or your agency’s information on your materials. No exceptions – only ONE sheet of paper per singer will be given to the panel.
Theaters confirmed as of 21 May 2013
- Metropolitan Opera
- Maggio Musicale Fiorentino
- Dallas Opera
- Wiener Staatsoper
- Festival Martina Franca
- Teatro Petruzzelli di Bari
- Canadian Opera Company
- Vlaamse Opera Antwerp
- Minnesota Opera
- Vancouver Opera
- Theatre du Capitole Toulouse
- Teatro Municipal de Santiago Chile
- National Centre for the Performing Arts Beijing
- Georgian National Opera Tbilisi
- Bergen Nasjonale Opera
- Landestheater Linz
- Badisches Staatstheater Karlsruhe
- Staatsoper Stuttgart
- Theater Darmstadt
- Nationaltheater Mannheim
All roles in Philip Glass’s “Akhnaten” except title role
Leopold (La Juive)
Eudoxie (La Juive)
Title role Armida (Rossini)
Queen of the Night MAGIC FLUTE to be sung in English
Helmwige – DIE WALKURE
Possible Brunnhilde cover
Angelotti – TOSCA
Tatyana – ONEGIN
Cherubino – NOZZE
Valentin & Siebel FAUST
Calaf, Liu & Timur TURANDOT
Third Norn & Gutrune GOTTERDAMMERUNG
Zaccaria / Nabucco
Luigi/ Tabarro (new prod)
Magnifico / Cenentola
Almaviva / Barbiere
Schichi title role (new prod)
Marcello/ Boheme and some german things
Maria Stuarda – Donizetti, title role*******************Mose – Elcia
Hansel – Hansel (in ENGLISH)
Frau ohne Schatten – Kaiserin, Dyers Wife
Puritani – all roles
Figaro – Count, Countess,
Barbere - Almaviva & Rosina (in English!)
Tosca - Tosca, Cavaradossi
UPCOMING OPERAS – some all roles sought, some have partial casting filled
Fille du regiment
Enemies, a Love Story (world premiere, requires Eastern European accent in English)
La finta giardiniera
Tosca (2 casts)
Hadrian – World Premiere
The NYIOP International Opera Auditions 2013 are open to any professional opera singer, managed or unmanaged. However, all singers must go through a preliminary audition in Firenze for a group of actual casting directors and agents.
The singers for the final auditions at the Teatro Comunale di Firenze will be chosen through a First Preliminary Audition for a panel of casting directors and agents. This invited panel will choose the singers who will sing the Final Audition on the stage of Teatro Comunale di Firenze for the full list of houses confirmed.
All singers who register for the preliminary auditions will be heard by the panel of casting directors and agents present on June 22 and 23, 2013 in Firenze, Italy.
First Round Preliminary Audition Information
Beginning with 2009, we initiated a process that allows more singers to be heard by actual casting directors and agencies. In addition, this new process will allow a singer to spend less money on travel and accomodation for the auditions.
All singers who register for the preliminary auditions will be heard by the panel of casting directors and agents present on June 22 and 23, 2013 in Firenze, Italy. This round of auditions will be attended by a panel of casting directors and agencies from around the world. At the end of the two days of preliminary auditions, the panel of casting directors and agencies will decide which singers are pass thru to the Final Auditions on the stage of Teatro Comunale di Firenze on June 24 and 25, 2013.
Those singers who pass thru to the Final Auditions will pay an additional 200 Euros and will be heard again by the entire panel of theaters who have confirmed attendance in the auditions.
As of now, the panel for the First Round Preliminary Auditions will include representatives from the Metropolitan Opera New York, Los Angeles Opera, Staatstheater Darmstadt Germany, Palm Beach Opera and Dallas Opera as well as representatives from agencies from all over the world.
Registration and Fees
The non-refundable fee for the preliminary auditions is €400 (or US$650) and is due upon initial registration. All singers who register for the preliminary auditions will audition at Teatro Comunale di Firenze in the First Preliminary Round of auditions attended by a panel of casting directors and agencies.
Online registration will be available from 1 May 2013. Each singer will be able to choose their own time and confirm it immediately.
WHO IS NYIOP
Since its first season in 2003, NYIOP International, LLC has brought together over 130 European opera houses and over 3,000 American opera singers at the NYIOP Auditions in New York City. Since June 2005 we also organize one major project per year in Europe with major opera houses from Europe and North America coming together to hear auditions. Beginning in 2005, this was held in Berlin, in 2009 was at the Teatro Comunale di Bologna, 2010 was at the Theater an der Wien in Vienna, 2011 at Opera National de Lyon. In 2012, we returned to the Komische Oper Berlin and in 2013 we are happy to be hosted by the Maggio Musicale Fiorentino in Firenze, Italy. By bringing the houses to the singers instead of vice versa, the ‘NYIOP system’ has revolutionized international opera auditioning and helped many singers get opera contracts without investing a lot of money and time in a traditional audition tour.
Through our desire to provide fresh innovation and ideas to the opera world, we have created a bridge between the old and new worlds by helping opera singers connect with the opera houses and festivals of the entire world. By forging personal relationships with the representatives from many opera houses on both sides of the Atlantic we have had the privilege to gain unique knowledge of and insight into how both the European and the American systems work and what the houses are looking for and expect of a singer.
It is our goal to leverage this knowledge by offering services which help singers of all levels advance in their careers.
All organization is being handled by NYIOP. Please do not contact the Maggio Musicale Fiorentino for information.
NYIOP International, LLC
601 Cathedral Parkway, Suite 12M
New York, NY 10025 USA
+1 (646) 319-9486 Tel
+1 (646) 219-3160 Fax
email@example.com – For all information